One of the most popular and high nutritional beans is Black Gram. It is originated from southern Asia, precisely India where it has been cultivated since ancient times. This gram belongs to bean family, same as the mung beans species. This is popularly known as Urad Dal which is consumed by human beings in almost every corner of the country as an important part of their daily meal. Urad dal is healthier than any other beans available in the market. It can be consumed everyday as it has various amazing properties which are good for health.
• Basically Black Gram is used as a part of meal and consumed by human being.
• There are various types of recipes available using black lentils or Urad dals. Such as Idli, Dosa, Vada, Uttapam and so on.
• These are also used in traditional medicines called Ayurveda in India.
• In the construction sector, Black Gram can be used as one of the elements of cement
Health Benefits :
• It contains calcium, magnesium and vitamin B which are very important for health.
• It helps to prevent Rheumatic pains, contracted knees and stiff shoulder.
• Best source of protein, fat and carbohydrate.
• It contains two types of fibers- soluble which helps to prevent constipation and insoluble which helps to prevent indigestion.
• It supports blood circulation.
• Finally it also helps to control cholesterol which is helpful to prevent cardio related health issues.
There are various types of Black Gram available in the market. Such as Type 27, Type 56, Pusa 1 and such.
Climate and Harvesting :
•It needs heavy rainfall.
•The temperature should be between 27degrees and 30 degrees.
•These grams can do well in the soil which is extremely good at water preservation.
•It takes around 90 to 120 days to fully grown.
•It also enriches the soil with high nitrogen.
•Proper soil moisture is needed here. Farmers need to irrigate the field just after sowing.
•It can be harvested when the pods turn 90 percent black.
•They need to be left in an open area for 1 or 2 days after harvesting to dry them.
Black Gram is the most prized pulse among all other pulses available in southern Asian countries. It is one of the healthiest pulses which helps to generate energy and strength in the body and has high iron content which fights many diseases in human body.